VF’s size and scale means that small changes can add up to make a big difference. VF Jeanswear has increased miles-per-gallon (MPG) efficiency from 6.43 MPG in 2006 to 7.15 MPG in 2013 by:
- Reducing the fleet speed limit, which cuts fuel consumption by more than 224,000 gallons and saves more than $789,000 annually.
- Improving truck aerodynamics with Smartway-verified trailer skirts. (Smartway is a U.S. EPA program that reduces transportation-related emissions through incentives to improve supply chain fuel efficiency)
- Improving tire specification, an initiative that saves almost 106,000 gallons of fuel per year.
- Saving materials and costs through tire retreading, which uses less than half the raw materials of a new tire and costs less than half as much.
- Increasing fuel efficiency about 1 percent by using wide-base single tires, which also reduce the number of scrapped tires.